50 held, internet shut down in Kasganj following clashes over youth's death

Kasganj: At least three shops, two private buses and a car were torched on the second day of violence in Uttar Pradesh’s Kasganj city on Saturday, police said, after a young boy was killed in clashes following stone-pelting on a motorcycle rally taken out to celebrate the Republic Day.

Internet services have also been suspended till 10 pm on January 28 in trouble-torn areas in western UP, where a curfew was imposed after clashes on Friday, to prevent spread of rumours on social media, they said.

Elaborating about the extent of damage, Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) Anand Kumar informed, “In all, three shops have been damaged, by pouring petrol below the shutter and setting it afire. Fire was also set on the seats of two private buses, but the engines of the buses are intact. One empty kiosk was also set ablaze by the anti-social elements. In the evening, the seats of an abandoned car were set ablaze.”

He claimed that no violence took place on Saturday, and “violence took place only yesterday (Friday)”.

The ADG added, “Some anti-social elements had tried to break into the gate of a mosque on Friday, but were unable to do so, as police chased them away.”

Meanwhile, District Magistrate RP Singh said, “Internet services were also suspended in trouble-torn area till 10 pm on January 28.”

Principal Secretary (Home) Arvind Kumar said, “Two cases were registered yesterday. As many as nine arrests in two cases, 40 more preventive arrests have been made. ADG Agra Zone/Commissioner Aligarh/IG Aligarh range have been camping there since yesterday, an IG-level officer, D K Thakur, has reached there from Lucknow and camping since yesterday night.”

He added, “Five companies of PAC and 1 RAF company had reached there yesterday along with additional civil police officers/policemen from the zone. one more Company of RAF has been provided today.”

The principal secretary (home) also informed, “After the peaceful cremation in the morning, some miscreants have tried to disturb peace which has been strictly dealt with. Only sporadic attempts of arson in the outskirts took place today.”

A government spokesperson said prohibitory orders still remained in effect, but did not say whether the curfew had been lifted.