112 arrested in Kasganj violence

As many as 112 people were arrested and security forces personnel intensified vigil in the strife-torn Kasganj in Uttar Pradesh where the situation remained tense but peaceful on Sunday, two days after clashes between two communities claimed one life.

In the evening, the UP Police said the situation was headed towards normalcy.

They also said three drone cameras had been deployed for aerial surveillance.

Explosives were found during house-to-house searches following which the state police chief said the stringent National Security Act (NSA) would be invoked against the culprits.

The Yogi Adityanath-led government, meanwhile, stressed that the guilty would not be spared.

An official statement issued by the UP Police said, “So far, 112 persons have been arrested. As many as 31 accused have been arrested, and 81 preventive arrests have been made.”

It said five cases have been registered so far, of which, three were registered by station in-charge of Kasganj Kotwali.

Cases were registered under various sections of the IPC, CLA (Criminal Law Amendment) Act and for violation of the National Flag Act, the statement said.

“The situation is heading towards normalcy, and markets have opened. Three drone cameras have been deployed for aerial surveillance of the entire city as most of the incidents took place in the peripheral areas,” Additional DG (Law and Order) Anand Kumar said.

“The IG, Aligarh has ordered the setting up of a special investigation team which will go through all evidence and objectively probe the case,” the ADG (L&O) said.

Principal Secretary (Home) Arvind Kumar also said that normalcy was being restored in the city.

At least three shops, two private buses and a car were torched in Kasganj on Saturday, after a young boy was killed in clashes following stone-pelting by a mob on a motorcycle rally taken out to celebrate the Republic Day.

In Lucknow, DGP OP Singh said, “We are speaking to people, the guilty are being arrested, intensive checking and house-to-house searches were undertaken. And this is the reason why the situation is absolutely under control.”

Referring to the incidents that led to the violence, he said there was stone-pelting between two groups resulting in the death of one person and injury to another.

“The police acted swiftly and controlled the situation, and we have intensified patrolling since the outbreak of the tension,” the DGP said.

Asked whether any permission was taken for a ‘Tiranga Yatra’, the DGP said no such nod was required.

“January 26 is a national event, and no permission is needed. This was a ‘prabhat pheri’ (morning event)…Some anti-social elements started pelting stones. Police immediately reached the spot and controlled the situation by arresting a few people. Since then, we are keeping a close watch. Today, there was no worrisome incident,” he said.

The DGP said stringent action would be taken against the guilty.

“So far more than 80 people have been arrested. House-to-house searches are going on. During the searches explosives were found. The National Security Act (NSA) will be slapped on criminals for vitiating the atmosphere,” he said earlier in the day.

The Rapid Action Force (RAF) and Provincial Armed Constabulary (PAC) intensified vigil in the city.